

# **NCWSC Committee Meeting Minutes**

**February 5, 2011**

**Aptos**

**Approved 7/30/11**

Note: The meeting minutes for this meeting are not chronologically ordered. In an attempt to make the minutes more easily used as a reference, the minutes will be ordered in a topical fashion.

## **Table of Contents**

Routine Business

Motions

Elections

Committee Reports

Coordinator Reports

Delegate's Report

Officer Reports

Intergroup Liaisons

Other Business

    Work Force and Thought Force Reports

    Assembly Evaluations Review

    Old Business

    DR Meeting Report

    Bids

    New Business

    Announcements

    Next Meeting

The meeting was convened at 8:04 AM with a moment of silence followed by the Serenity Prayer. The Traditions (Darrell), Concepts (Mary) and Warranties (Denice) were read.

Chairperson's Welcome (Patrick B: This is the start of our 3<sup>rd</sup> year. I'm not excited to be done: I was thinking about it, because 2 years have gone by really quickly. I was thinking about when I was getting ready to chair my first meeting. A lot of good things have been going on: DR conference call has been helpful. Diversity work. TEAM meeting. There have been some bumpy waters. Listening to the coordinators last night it seemed that everyone is settling into their roles. Thanks to Debbie and the host committee for the facility. Welcome. Microphones: Please come to the mic if any comments or questions. If not at the

mic, something might get lost. Limit comments to 1-2 minutes. Timekeeper: Carol G. We DO want to hear what you have to say, but in a focused way.

Roll Call was taken.

The meeting adjourned at 4:58 pm with the AI-Anon/Alateen Declaration

## Motions

**1102.01: Approval of Minutes from July 2010 Committee Meeting. Moved (Carla G), seconded (Bruce H); passed with substantial unanimity.**

Motion to adjourn: Moved (Mary K), seconded (Diane). Passed w/ substantial unanimity on voice vote.

**1102.02: Affirmed \$2000 grant to NoCAC, with substantial unanimity.**

## Elections

Mary R selected (in caucus of the Southern Section DRs) to be the DR from the Southern Section to serve on the Audit Committee.

## Committee Reports

### ***Executive Committee Report: (Peggy P)***

EC Recommendations

EC continue to review *Assembly Evaluations*.

Debit/gift card for Secretary to make copies—will do

*Officer Conference Calls* continue into next panel.

***Management Audit. Professional.*** Cost, to be established. A lot of counties have community foundations that support non-profit organizations. Might try this route. Not an audit of books, but of management, if jobs are defined, are we doing the jobs? EC found that a number of activities are required but may not be happening. A checklist needs to be established.

AAPP: good idea.

DR: whatever we learn as an Area can be applied to Districts, especially those who are incorporated.

DR: what kind of activity that might not be happening? EC member: corporate records are supposed to be stored annually. We were looking at corporate responsibilities timeline, which shows some but not all of the requirements.

Wouldn't it be nice if a new panel coming in would be able to know all they need to do?

Former Delegate: it was up to date until 3 years ago.

EC Member: records were sent to Archives.

EC Chair: we're pretty sure the records all exist, but maybe not where they belong. We need consolidated list. An expert might be able to find something that we should be doing but we have no idea what it is.

EC Member: Another option might be to check with California South.

Coordinator.: Can we get information in time for the Assembly in May?

Coordinator: Cost of not following corporate rules could be much higher than the cost of doing this audit.

Delegate: part of the delegate's report this year is the presentation on ownership of property; the idea that Al-Anon is a business as well as a recovery program can be discussed at the May assembly.

Delegate: both chair and EC can authorize the expenditure of funds.

**Substantial approval of the idea.**

*Election requirements:* a form will be created to work as a template, to see if it would help. Trustee application form could be the basis. Put it on the agenda for the officers next conference call: NCWSC to create a form.

*Treasurer role:* needs more support, divide the job. Gather some information, thought force to meet by Web Ex.

Coordinator: Treasurer should have to have been a treasurer, not necessarily a DR.

DR: This is an example of the broader issue of qualifying volunteers to make sure they have what they need to do the job. First the process should be informed by the broader fellowship-wide conversation. 2<sup>nd</sup>: consider hiring a treasurer.

Coordinator: For the officers, we've been giving standard information, but verbally. Re treasurer, I'm not getting it, this is not new.

EC Member: on elections, this has happened on a hit-and-miss basis, verbal only. No Q&A. Peggy: let's at least get baseline info.

Former Delegate: I was treasurer. The first time I stood, someone reminded everyone that I couldn't balance my own checkbook. When I was elected the next time, I hired a bookkeeper to do the software. That was part of my job. Over the years, I've noticed that people seem to think they need to ask permission for what they think they need to do their job. Maybe we just need to say, "It's OK to have assistants".

Alternate Delegate: our CPA compiles the data but does not audit.

EC Chair: goal is to hand off proper records, and be sure that they are proper records.

Treasurer: Thanks to EC for all the work and the recommendations.

EC Chair: we should rewrite the guidelines and simplify them. Thought force: Joyce, Joan W, Art B,

### ***Audit Committee Report (Joan W)***

DeDe resigned from her position as DR. She was a member of the Audit committee. We need the Southern Section to caucus to select another

representative. Committee meets once a year in Cameron Park at Joan's home, a 4-5 hour meeting with lunch. Joan suggested a preliminary budget without meeting with Committee. Generally work on budget via email. Need a current DR to be selected from the Southern Section. Elected: Mary R

### ***Budget Committee Report (Joan W)***

Budgets are just a guess, and this one is just a draft. Needs input from coordinators and officers, event chairs, etc.: it is important that we help our replacements by putting a budget in for them. First year needs to buy supplies; put that in the budget. We have passed a motion that all events (except for H&I) be fully self-supporting. Amounts for Officers is really a guess; we don't know where officers will be living, how much travel will be involved.

Former Delegate: we used to have a travel budget for officers to attend a service event (used to be RSS). We have eliminated the budget item, but I'm suggesting we replace it with a TEAM event—I would like the line on there, even if it has no money except for every 3<sup>rd</sup> year.

GR Assistance: there were several requests last year, and we were able to meet all requests. If we can, we should do better at predicting our expenses and income. Will the revised budget go on the website? Goes into the 12-Stepper and the 12-Stepper gets put on the website.

Literature Coordinator; whose responsibility is to make copies of Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism? Put this on the guidelines.

We can do fundraisers for PI/CPC if we make that decision.

We don't do line items at Assembly because we sometimes move things around, so that the subtotals don't go over budget. Look at the budget; see if that is going to work.

Alateen Coordinator: Guidelines need to be translated; is there a budget for that? Check with Diversity coordinator.

AAPP clarify that we need to think about the cost of replacing equipment that wears out.

DR: When we have a question on a specific line item, when will we discuss that?

Specifically re Institutions: what is the expense? Travel by the Institution coordinator and co-coordinator to the prisons. Mileage reimbursement: current IRS rate, currently 0.50, but members have the option of donating some of it back.

Budget committee can vote to increase prudent reserve: it's back to \$18K. Only the Executive committee can vote to take reduce prudent reserve.

If you have any questions, please email Joan at JoanW@comcast.net.

### ***NoCAC Committee (Meghan-Alicia)***

Meghan-Chair for 2010- 2010 wrap-up: NoCAC went really well. Those who showed up had fun and lots of good feedback. Some of the best speakers I've ever heard. 160 people attendance. Left accounts with \$5K for scholarships,

2.5K more than last year. Don't have copy of treasurer's report yet, will email to Carol. We did have \$1500 missing after event over, met with Carla end of December, sat down with Carla, Zoe, Darrell, Alicia. Person handling the money at the time was not there, but met with Carla. Tracked the process, still can't find money. Some options: hold a fund-raiser (not passed), or try to put money together themselves. We tried to practice Concept 12, Warranty 4: Not to be personally punitive. Protection is in God's hands. We did what we could at the time, talked about it a lot. We handled money fine throughout the year, and we found some ways to tighten up. We have come up with some steps for the sponsors as well as for the kids. Hard to find a balance, especially working with kids.

Chair: appreciate the way you are showing up and being present. Do you have insight into where the breakdown happened?: The money was left in the open, not being watched. Person who did that is no longer working with money. At the end of NoCAC we were all really tired. Counted the money and bolted. Will make sure that co-chair and cosponsor always go, or have the co-sponsor deposit. Will do the monthly treasurer reports for us.

DR: commended on integrity and courage. How are scholarship funds disbursed? First come, first served. Will also look at newcomers.

DR: Money that was lost? From auction, cash coming in the door? Yes, it was all stuff that came in that weekend.

DR: Do you know that hotels have safes? Was taken between hotel and bank.

Alicia H. (2011 Chair): Excited to be chairman. Had turnover meeting, went well. Will put safeguards in place. Have some money in place, so can have good events. First fund-raiser and first Bash already planned. Trinity Lutheran for St. Patrick's Day, potluck and scavenger hunt: flyers in bins. Bash at Fremont Peak in Hollister June 17-19 will be awesome. Requesting grant for hotel deposit, so we can get our hotel as soon as possible. Requesting \$2000 - same as last year. Budget is for \$2000. We don't need a motion, but want to Affirm. In favor: SU

### ***Convention Committee (Debbie O)***

This year's committee has been very active and hard-working. We lost our program chair, but we have a good program already. I'm hoping we can soon get an Alateen guideline in place. Lupe stepped up as our Diversity chair; with Julieta as a Spanish Speaker, we hope to have good participation. JR is AA chair, and AA will do 2 talks. Al-Anon speakers: Sandi C., Tina B from Nevada, Betty R from Oregon, and Julieta. As long as members are respectful, marathon meetings will be allowed to go on 23 hours, every hour for 50 minutes. T-shirts are available. Hoodies are available for pre-sales only—to keep expenses down. Please fill out registration today. Please read this at meetings: what happens at Convention.

## **Long-Range Planning Committee (Chris D for Claudia M)**

LRPC exists to bring ideas that we learn from the community, do some research on it, and bring back recommendations. Our current members are Claudia, Chris D., Irma C., Joan W, Debbie O. and Bruce H. We would like to replace one or two people who had to step down (Peggy and Connie). We meet by phone once a month for about an hour usually on the 2<sup>nd</sup> Tuesday of the Month, 7:30 to 8:30 PM. If you are interested you can talk to the current committee members.

Recommendation: inconsistency in reports, saying “I do not have a report” is not a report. Reports need to be completed in advance, get to secretary, and then do not read it, but communicate what you’re excited about.

Area Chair should remind everyone to present a report in writing—see written report.

Guidelines should include need to report

Reports should be standard, including how privacy is protected. A standard report template or outline should be considered. This template (or outline) can be adopted by all reporters. For example:

Who: who you are, name and title

What: what you are doing, have done, plan to do

When: when it was done or due

How: how it was/will be done

Why: why or the impact of your actions

## **Coordinator Reports**

### ***12-Stepper Editor (Denice E)***

My Co-Editor (Kathy H) keeps it together. At TEAM event, several people were facilitators at workshops but I have not received the reports from most of them. (Chair will send some.) Latest 12-Stepper was on-line only, posted near the end of December. Next issue will have call to May Assembly, needs to get out by April 15, so deadline for submissions is 2 weeks from tomorrow (2/20/11). Some things are out of their control: they need certain reports; sometimes the printer puts us behind other jobs. Next issue: officers, coordinators, committee chairs, and liaisons from intergroups. DR reports are not mandatory. Send flyers for events April 15 and beyond. Needs to be sent to them electronically in Word (or Excel) format. Sometimes you present a flyer in PDF, and it doesn’t come out quite right. One thousand copies are made.

EC Chair: EC is aware of issue of timeliness, that the parameters are very tight.

Coordinator: should reports be sent to both editor and secretary?--yes

Event flyers need to go to AAPP, then Website.

### ***Alateen Coordinator (Carla G)***

I’m honored to serve and work with awesome Alateens. I’ve been involved with supporting NoCAC teens and sponsors. At TEAM there was a good discussion of

Alateens as GRs; I got some good ideas. We have three new liaisons for 2-year terms. Getting calls to start new Alateen meetings, working with Bonnie. Did a workshop with Districts 23 and 24, talked about Alateen literature and supporting sponsors. I attended the turnover for NoCAC committee. Just received some new PowerPoint slides from WSO; will look through those to see what can be used. Next Saturday at D14's Day In Al-Anon I will do a workshop on sponsorship and there will also be Alateen meetings. R&R Sept 16-18: good meeting to go to for both sponsors and potential sponsors. B17 guide to Alateen safety, being an AMIAS, suggests regular training. Shawn puts together Alateen Express; encourage your teens to submit. WSO has Alateen Talk, and I have forms for submitting info and also to subscribe to Alateen Talk, at \$2.50 a year. I'm happy to support your districts in any way I can. In March I'm going to District 9. DR: would PowerPoint from WSO lend itself to the PI project? Outreach to Alateens needed.

Is Alateen Express available online?—past copies are on NCWSC website. DR used to talk about her District demanding 2 training meetings a year for sponsors. One sponsor went to R&R, came back and told her kids they had to go to NoCAC, who were blown away. We're trying to get our sponsors to go to R&R.

#### Alateen Liaison Report

Karena R. (N), Kayla F. (S)-not present

Emily T. (C): I was elected at NoCAC last November. Really excited to be working with Carla. I'm available to speak if wanted. I will try to abide by my guidelines.

#### **Archives Coordinator (Chris M)**

It's been a little cooler and wetter, I thought I would do Archives parties once a quarter, but probably not 1st quarter; thinking about once a month starting in May. Al-Anon's birthday, 60 years, is on April 16. She has info on birthday party at WSO. Is your district or group planning a birthday party? Will have a birthday celebration at convention.

#### **Bylaws and Insurance Coordinator (Bruce H)**

##### **Bylaws and Guidelines**

Bylaws are umbrella over guidelines. It would be good to read the Bylaws before updating guidelines. We will try to get officers done by March/April, and then for the July committee meeting we can work on coordinator guidelines and see if we can get them to coordinate. I've received 5 updated guidelines and there are 27 to go. I would ask the Delegate, all the Officers and Coordinators review their respective forms in Appendix A of the NCWSC Binder and let me know if they need updating.

##### **Insurance**

We have revised forms A26a and A26b—please got copies to your GRs; they are also online. We're trying to change from an agent in Pasadena to one in Lafayette. It's hard to get an agent to understand our structure, or lack of it. I have received 2 calls (please feel free to call if there are any questions about a possible issue) but no claims have been made. I'd like to get a committee together of all the Insurance Coordinators in the Area. AIS 6-10 is thinking of issuing certificates based on their own insurance, as 35% of the certificates I issue come from that AIS.

***Diversity (Janie)***

Absent

***Facilities Coordinator (Debbie O)***

Hello all and welcome to the last year of this panel, my job is slowing down now with the majority of my work behind me, I am looking for a District in the Northern Section to host the Feb 2012 Committee meeting for the first weekend of Friday Feb 3 and Saturday Feb 4, 2012. Keeping in the rotation so all areas have the opportunity to be of service. You can find the bid form at NCWSA.ORG select Service, then select Forms and the form A-9 that has the guidelines or the requirements we will need. So if you are in Districts 1 through 10 please contact me or submit the form with the bid in place.

The next event will be the Conference Assembly for 2012 with we are looking in the Central Section, being mindful of other events, as this is a very busy month for our area. Taking into consideration the Delegate needs a couple of weeks to compile his or her information and be ready to present it to the Assembly. My suggestion is May 19, 2012; unfortunately this is the same weekend Growing Together Weekend set their event, which happened this year. It's nice to have choices but not this way. So if you are in District 11-17, 25 or 26 look for Schools, Senior Citizens center, any place that would allow us seating for 350 with tables!!, sound system, space to bring in lunch, see me for more information. The July 2012 Committee Meeting will be in the Southern Sections of District 18 through 24 and 27.

Now on to what is coming up,

1 April 29, 30, May 1. 2011 NCWSA Convention "This Side of Heaven in 2011"(Southern Section)

Embassy Suites, Monterey Bay-Seaside, 1441 Canyon Del Rey  
Seaside, CA. 93955

Accommodation info was provided.

2. Saturday May 21, 2011 Conference Assembly (Northern Section)  
Sonoma County Veterans Memorial Auditorium, 1351 Maple Ave.  
Santa Rosa, CA. 95403



District 5 will be the host district, for more information check with Peggy P the DR for this district

NOTE: There are no over night room accommodations for this event. If this is a hardship to drive all this distance, no one should ever be turned away for doing service. Please check with your Group, District or NCWSA on getting your sleeping accommodations expenses paid, if that is what you will need .

3. July 29-30 2011 Committee Meeting(Northern Section)

Holiday Inn Express, 4360 Town Center Blvd, El Dorado Hills, CA. 95762

[www.hiexpress.com/eldoradohills](http://www.hiexpress.com/eldoradohills)

Ph 866-833-8779

Room accommodation info was given. District 9 will be our host With Karleen H chairing the DR meeting Friday Evening.

4. October 7-8-9, 2011 Three Day Assembly Host (Northern Section)

Our next 3 day Assembly will be hosted by a committee from Dist 6 through 10 and I owe the Assembly an amends for not waiting and bring this bid to you for vote last Oct. I know it will be what it is meant to be so for the sake of our area, encourage all you members to get in the car with you, have a meeting on the way to the meeting, make new friends. It is important to be here as this will be the Voting Assembly for our 2012-2014 Panel...

**The Village at Squaw Valley**

1750 Village East Road

Olympic Village, CA. 96146

Phone #: 888-767-1907 ask for NCWSA

Or the website at [www.thevillageatsquaw.com](http://www.thevillageatsquaw.com) For online booking Code is 40A9RJ. Cut off date Friday September 9, 2011

Room Accommodations:

**One Bedroom with Village**

**View.....\$ 129.00**

One Bedroom with Extra Den.....\$ 149.00

**Two Bedroom with Village View.....\$ 239.00**

Two Bedrooms with Twin beds.....\$ 239.00

Three Bedroom Suites.....\$ 419.00

All rates are per night and have a \$12.00 resort fee, which covers high speed internet, parking in heated underground garage, use of the fitness center, and conference services. The group rates are good two (2) days prior and two (2) days following this event. Check In time 4 p.m. and Check Out 11 a.m. **Important Note:** Book early this facility is very popular and has no fudge space. If they are

sold out which they do very often the other accommodations in the area are as well.

The 2012 Convention is at the same facility as the 2011 Assembly, so the site is a familiar place and hopefully we can fill the rooms one more time.

5. The 2012 Convention April 20-21-22, 2012 with Chris D as your Chair from Dist 13 which is the Central Section.

### **The Village at Squaw Valley**

1750 Village East Road

Olympic Village, CA. 96146

Phone #: 888-767-1907 ask for NCWSA

Or the website at [www.thevillageatsquaw.com](http://www.thevillageatsquaw.com) For online bookings you will need a code...I will need to check 1 yr in advance for the code.

Cut off date March 21, 2012

Room Accommodations: Same as for 2011 October Assembly (see above)

It has been an honor and a privilege to be of service to you in all areas of my recovery.

### ***Group Records (Harlan H for Connie F)***

Absent, but printed report:

We have begun our last year in this panel. When we started I thought, oh boy, this job is huge, and will I make it through the three years. As I have learned in Al-Anon, one day at a time makes anything manageable. I have discovered the only reason it felt unmanageable is because it was new. Today I am surprised how quickly the first two years went and I do not want the next to come to an end!

As your Group Records Coordinator I am responsible for keeping our groups contact data up to date. I am current on all change requests I've received. I have submitted reports containing group information to coordinators as well as labels for mailing the *12 Stepper*. I also prepared required documents for assembly registration and voting purposes. Periodically, WSO sends data for update verification, which along with NCWSA data sheets I forward to your DRs (District Representatives) for review and correction as needed.

The current New Group and Group Change form is available at NCWSA's web site at [www.ncwsa.org](http://www.ncwsa.org); click on service; forms; A16. Please make copies and distribute as indicated at the bottom of the form. Note: the GR is not always the CMA (current mailing address) for the group. If your group has a change in the GR section and unless it is specified in the CMA section that the GR is also the CMA only the GR change will be processed.

### ***Institutions (Louise M)***

In your bins is the report from Institutions. First is my report. Attached is a flyer for volunteers needed, shows where and when we need help. May 6-8 H&I Conference in Fresno, we will have panels only Friday and Saturday. You don't have to be in H&I to go. Also flyers on how you can help in prisons and how to be an inmate correspondence. We are finally in San Quentin. Thanks to Marin volunteers. Right now we're in H unit, where most inmates are ready to be paroled soon. Literature important; they take pamphlets home. We would like a core group with the lifers. Ninety inmates in Soledad participate. Many thanks go to the Monterey volunteers. December 18 had birthday celebration for Soledad; Ken from Walnut Creek was the speaker. By the time we get one for Solano, it will be time for the 2<sup>nd</sup> birthday. We meet at Deuel Vocational Institute at Tracy once a month for perspective parolees. We are in county jails in Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, and Sacramento plus juvenile halls in Santa Clara and Salinas. We are still waiting word from Folsom and Chowchilla (the state prison for women) and Mule Creek in Stockton, which want us, in but we need volunteers. Many thanks to those who go into recovery homes, women's shelters, and other institutions. In Solano, inmates have set up meetings for themselves in their buildings. Thanks to everyone who has been sending in contributions and old Forums. Your donations help us spread the message. Inmates are respectful; their recovery is amazing to see. . If you cannot join us in the prisons, consider applying for the correspondence service which involves writing letters – men to men, and women to women (not a lonely hearts club.) All letters go through WSO. Institutions Committee members are willing to come to your event or district to speak.

H&I report (Sheri W): there will be great panels, wide variety, great speakers, people coming from all over. Armando from Thunder Road will speak. Please register, so far plenty of rooms at Radisson. This conference is for all of us. It's a wonderful drive down to Fresno. Conference will be Mother's Day weekend. There will be raffles.

Thanks to Louise from the Committee

### ***Literature Coordinator (Sandy S)***

LITERATURE REPORT: The new 2010-2013 Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual (P-24/27) and Groups at Work (P-24) are now in stock and available to the fellowship, each of you should have received your free copy. I have with me today, the manual's for our NCWSC Alternates, who did not receive a copy from WSO.

The new Al-Anon Catalog 2011 (S-15) is also available. (Remember—when you buy from your local Literature Distribution Center, you support your local services. For a list of LDCs please go to: (<http://www.ncwsa.org/lcdc.html>)

WSO is preparing a new book (Tracing our Growth) about Al-Anon's history). It should be out April 2011, in time to celebrate our 60<sup>th</sup> Anniversary.

Effective January 1, 2011, there are new charges for shipping and handling for literature.

Shipping and Handling in US, Bermuda, Puerto Rico. For orders totaling \$0-\$100.00 add \$8.00 for orders over \$100.00 add 8%. Shipping and Handling within Canada. For orders totaling \$0-\$100.00 add \$10.00 for orders over \$100.00 add 10%. Shipping and Handling Overseas. For orders totaling \$0-\$50.00 add \$20.00 for orders over \$50.00 add 40%.

#### FORUM REPORT:

The number of subscriptions have grown. Almost every area has made gains, but we still have a long way to go before The Forum reaches our membership in a way that can strengthen our shared recovery. WSO is encouraging GRs to give the magazine visibility by using sharing from The Forum in group discussions.

(Reminder: GRs are the Forum Representative to their group. Please refer to Seventh Tradition Pamphlet (S-21), Al-Anon Guidelines Group Representative (G-11) and our Service Manual (page 45).

I came across a great Forum article that was written by Lois W, in the December 1977 Forum. It was called "Holiday Greetings From Lois" I made a copy of it and put it in your bins.

Second printing of Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism 2011, orders may be placed until 5pm ET Wednesday February 9, 2011. It will be shipped before April 1, 2011.

#### ***PI/CPC (Brenda W)***

I have just stepped up at coordinator. I was reviewing job description this morning and pleased to find out I've actually done some of the things on there. I will need to get my contact info to WSO so I can receive news and information. Please let me know what type of public outreach you are doing in your District, and what kind of information you would like. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions: I like to get questions. Contact me at 209-324-5874, or [brendabl09@gmail.com](mailto:brendabl09@gmail.com); it's correct on roster. Now we need an Alternate. Needs to know who are PI/CPC coordinators in Districts. You can order Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism, deadline coming up-needs to be placed by 5 PM EST 2/9/11. Recommended that website and phone number for local contact be placed on copies given to professionals

### **Web Committee (Chris D for Jim S.)**

Jim apologizes for not being able to make it. He put a copy of his report in each folder. Sending PDFs is helpful for things that are going to be on website (but use Word for Secretary and 12 Stepper). Flyers on Yahoo site might not have gone through approval process.

2.6 Million Total Hits on our Area Web Site for the last 12 months.

Currently status of NoCal Web Sites:

13 - Independent/Separate Districts & AIS's

8 - Dependent Districts

Thank you to all the Dependent Districts for sending updates to keep the online meeting lists up to date.

Thank you for sending flyers though Bonnie M., AAPP, when mentioning Alateen on a flyer.

Alateen last name, phone number or e-mail cannot appear in the flyer, please use an Al-Anon Sponsor contact.

All Alateen Meeting's posted on the web require a current WSO Number, current registered meeting address and Certified Sponsors. This includes Dependent, Independent and Separate Web Sites connected to [www.ncwsa.org](http://www.ncwsa.org).

All event flyers with any Alateen involvement must be approved by our AAPP (Area Alateen Process Person) at [AAPP@ncwsa.org](mailto:AAPP@ncwsa.org) before it will be placed on the [www.ncwsa.org](http://www.ncwsa.org) web site.

### **Delegate's Report (John S, Panel 49, California North, Area 3)**

It is hard to believe that this is the third year. I will be going to my last conference in April, 10-15. This year is our panel 49's turn to visit Stepping Stones, so we are flying in to NY and going to Stamford, Conn, then on to Bill and Lois home. Then we fly to Va. Beach. The reason for this unusual itinerary is the Birthday celebration on 4/16/2011 – Al-Anon's 60<sup>th</sup> birthday. The celebration will be held at the WSO office.

I have had the pleasure of holding a workshop at D23's district meeting. And have finally been invited to other districts as well. District 1 is working to set up a visit, and District 5 as well. I am leading a workshop at the next D12 meeting. I have discovered that I really enjoy doing this. Who knew? This year I have been working on the Public Outreach committee at WSO through conference calls and that has been both educational and fun. One factoid we were given is that our PSAs are in the top 5% for airplay nationally. It is hard to explain why I am eager to go and spend 15 hours a day in meetings for an entire week, but I am really looking forward to the WSO conference. Somewhat sad it's my last, but I am really ready to let go of the position. Remember – Vancouver in 2013!!

## **Officer Reports**

### ***Treasurer's Report (Carol G)***

There is a copy of the balance sheet in bins. We are up to speed: have some money, net income of >\$10K. There are outstanding expense reports. No payables. If you need checks, let me know by 2 PM. Expenses for 2010 need to be submitted today—she has the forms here today. October 2010 Assembly expenses were more than income, for extra screen and projector (which helped access, but cost more than anticipated). Lesson is that we need to have the equipment but we need to know how much.

### ***Chairperson Report (Patrick B)***

I've submitted only 2 written reports, so I'll be working on that. Since October Assembly, and TEAM, I was feeling a little burned out. It was a busy and rewarding year. Some requests for conflict resolution have come to me: I've offered ESH and suggested they work it out within their group and referred them to the conflict resolution guidelines. I'm going to SWRDM, and hope to represent California-North well.

### ***Secretary Report (Johanna MM)***

I decided to save paper and not copy my report. I really don't have much to report. I posted the minutes from the July meeting to the Yahoo group several weeks ago; I hope you had a chance to review them.

Check your bins early, often, and again just before you leave. If you leave your nametag, I will get it back to you for the next meeting, which is the May Assembly.

If you have any corrections to make to the Roster, please make them on the master copy of the Roster or email them to me. Email to my personal email or to [Secretary@ncwsa.org](mailto:Secretary@ncwsa.org) works equally well.

### ***Alternate Delegate Report (Joan)***

I did a workshop in Ukiah, and it's neat to be able to go to Districts. There was a teen there who decided to stand for GR of her Alateen group, and another woman who stepped up to be GR. The officers and coordinators are available to go to Districts. Participation is the key to harmony. Our Area did great putting on the TEAM; I've never seen Ric be so funny. People got a lot out of his workshop. It was fun helping to organize it. I'm happy to serve, and a work in progress.

### ***AAPP Report (Bonnie M)***

Time to reflect on what we have accomplished and what remains. We do have a Yahoo group for AMIAS (Al-Anon Members Involved in Alateen Service). We've made positive steps in complying with our own Alateen safety procedure. Events

guidelines now posted on both AMIAS group and NCWSC group, partly to provide templates for other events to create guidelines. I have a draft guideline for new District Representatives and District Alateen Process Persons, defining our Area procedures for following our safety requirements and have asked for feedback but haven't had any. WSO went through big cleanup project, and our records are cleaner now, too. We have a volunteer willing to translate requirements and forms into Spanish. Did receive guidance from WSO on meetings calling themselves Alateen that don't meet guidelines. Still want to do: forms for certifying and recertifying AMIAS have a space for Driver's License, but it's not needed on form; I want to take it off. I've asked others to review and comment on event guidelines. A lot of the A22 forms are outdated. This job is sometimes overwhelming, but it is very gratifying. Alateen is revitalized and thriving in almost every district. Convention: does not yet meet requirements, so the flyer is not on the website. Flyers that involve Alateen participation should not be approved until the AAPP certifies that the procedures in place. We can send out Send-the-date flyers that don't mention Alateen. We need to renew certification every year. DAPPs need to start collecting information on the AMIASs in their district. Currently, there are 82 registered Alateen groups, not counting those recently submitted; and we have 305 certified AMIAS with a few more in progress. All Districts now have at least one certified AMIAS who can help other interested AI-Anon members get certified as AMIAS so that Alateen meetings can be registered. Please remember a group cannot meet as Alateen until it has completed the registration process

## **Intergroup Liaisons**

### ***AIS District 6-10 [Sacramento area] (Kellidee L)***

Elected AGR in 2009, in 2010 stood for alternate chair, became Chair Sept 2010. PI coordinator attended multiple events. Banners are now being used at multiple events. Group Inventory Dec., facilitated by Sandi C. Tons of great ideas, and we are discussing and/or adopting 2 ideas each month. PI coordinator formed a committee, ordered holders and literature, had a party to stuff packets. Decided not to charge postage and accept credit cards. Bylaws nearly complete, will be going out in website and in Share and Care.

### ***Santa Clara Valley AFG Intergroup (Jay)***

Hello folks. Sometimes we fly and sometimes we crawl, the last few months have been time to crawl. Slowly filling coordinator positions. Trying to get chair and alternate chair, if we can get chair I will stand for alternate chair. Good mix of new folk. D20 seems to have a DR MIA. In meantime still having speaker meetings, next 2/25. SCV rocked the house for Seasons of Recovery in October. CDs are available. There's a possible new Spanish Intergroup forming in the SCV.

***Hispanic Intergroup-Julieta D.***

Absent

***Spanish East Bay Intergroup***

Absent

**Other Business**

**Work force on rotating DRs, one third each year - (Patti)**

Absent, no report

**Thought Force Report Committee Meeting Alternatives (Using Technology) -**

Chris D

The members of the Thought Force are: Diana S., Art B., David B., Lisa B., DeDe W. and Chris D.

Looking at alternatives to meeting in person. Cost is not the whole consideration. Web-based works best with one person presenting, smaller group. Could do conference call. Public Videoconference rooms: tend to be small, done by attorneys, found them around courthouses. Could do clustered locations: Eureka, Sacramento, Modesto, etc. Paid by the hour, most expensive on weekends. Includes technician. Has not yet looked at non-profit rates, etc. Mileage should be less because people not going very far. State community colleges tend not to be available unless you're connected. Usually 4 hours, can we do what we want in that time frame?

Q&A: DR: would it work if in one town it's courtroom and another it's community college.—yes, it might work.

DR: WebEx? Chair: WebEx would work better for a small group. Officers or EC could try it out. Chris can recommend a free service (DimDim.com), not hard to learn.

DR: I'd miss the fellowship.

Former Delegate: we do an 8-hr meeting. If we replace it by a 4-hr meeting, we'd have to do two of them. Maybe we do only half the agenda each time. Maybe 8 2-hr meetings each year, rather than 2 8-hr meetings.

DR: might we need another meeting this year? Chair: we've been talking about his. Considering a meeting at the end of October, after Assembly, for transition.

Chris: maybe replace May Assembly with a technology meeting.

Chris: some things happen best when we're together, other types can be done other ways; the various technological meetings are not interchangeable. Are there people willing to help: Diana S., David B, Lisa B., Art B.

Patrick: we're planning on May meeting not including coordinator reports, when would we like to do it? Former Delegate: use technology for part of turnover meeting. Coordinator: perhaps pre-turnover meeting, but not in November. DR: maybe in September, to get people more interested in service at Area level. Little



committee can talk about alternatives. Chris can be sure to get info out to the list-serve.

Former Delegate; 15 years ago when we started a web site, only 3 people at Assembly had ever been to any web site. We are now laying the ground-work for the future.

### **Diversity Thought Force:** tabled to May

Assembly Evaluations Review (October 2010)

Assembly evaluations: need opportunities to mix between GRs. There were numerous positive comments on Chair, Budget, workshops and speaker. But Forum workshop was not interactive enough. Please don't report stats or events. Please report district challenges and what they learned. Coordinators, please present information that will be useful to DRs. DRs please make copies of coordinators' reports for GRs. Avoid Acronyms. Diversity Coordinator please ensure translation equipment is working. Might consider a translator coordinator position. Please make 12-Stepper available sooner, DRs please inform your GRs that the 12-Stepper is available online. Workshop requests: how to deal with disruptive people in meetings, how to run a business meeting, Alateen, mixers, AIS vs. Districts.

### ***DR Meeting Report (Lisa B.)***

There were 16 DRs present, 5 topics suggested, we covered 4 and one will be discussed today. Assembly, Squaw Valley, talk it up. Main topics: Peggy-using District's non-profit # for opening bank accounts for group: each district has autonomy, but is their program guidance? Lisa: Schedule person noticed that quite a few meetings were considered closed, and we don't put that on the schedule. Do the groups know if they are open or closed? Do they want to keep it that way. Consensus: meetings are open to public. 3-How are districts finding people to fill positions. One district uses a nominating committee and it works well. 4-DR phone meetings usually involve about 10 people and some great discussions.

### ***Bids***

We used to use the process. Districts would look around district that facilities that might be available, based on some guidelines. Then they would present them at our business meetings and committee or assembly would have a chance to hear the different bids and make a choice as to where to do it. What has happened with costs going up, it makes sense to get contracts more than a year in advance. For the last couple of panels, Facilities Coordinator has been working with someone who can help us negotiate contracts, etc., with a goal to getting reasonable and affordable contracts. So what's been happening is that we get bids far in advance and we're getting fewer bids. Our committees have been a

doing a good job, but there are some other factors: some events have been in conflict with other events. Three-day Assembly: there was not discussion with the Assembly about it. Some concerns about the location and the timing. Bid process has been lost. This has created an opportunity to discuss the process. We would like the process to be more visible to all of us. Hosting events like this can get more people involved in service.

Former Delegate: guideline is the official group conscience-check them.

DR: 3-day brought this to a head. RFP available on the web site does not say Assembly should avoid religious holidays or that it has to be at a different location for Election Assembly; that should be specified in guidelines. A lot of this could have been solved by presenting a potential bid to the Assembly but argues for specificity to make it easy for people who want to participate in the bid process. We got 15 bids, and decided on Squaw Valley. A lot of work went into it. They have to be done so many months in advance, more than a year ahead, so it's really hard to present to the Assembly.

Chair: perhaps this 3-day did bring it to a head, but there have been concerns before, and it's clear the host committee made a decision based on the information they had.

DR D9, hosting July Committee meeting. In our 3<sup>rd</sup> year we are finally getting to understand our job. I don't know that I understood it was part of our DR responsibilities. Joan helped me. The process was relatively easy, but I needed to know first that this was part of our responsibility. We have been learning as we go.

Chair: be sure you pass this information on to your incoming DR.

AAPP: thanks for clarifying where the information is not available. Assembly guidelines are clear than bid is not signed without going by chair, but not in the RFP guidelines.

DR: this is a fascinating issue that I am finally sort of starting to get. I finally got an idea and it was too late. If we put a bid in now, it will be for the next panel.

Facilities Coordinator: It's been in my reports that we need bids. I worked my ass off to get everything booked. The chair knew about everything except the one at Squaw Valley.

Chair: thanks for the discussion. I'm not sure there is anything to do, except that we need to cover the process more at transition, and we're looking at revising guidelines. I will look at Assembly guidelines as well as my own. Suggests that pertinent points that host committee should know to the RFP, checklist. Also reference the RFP in the Assembly guidelines. Also a recommendation that the facilities coordinator present all bids to a business meeting.

DR: conflict in schedule. Would like to get back to keeping to set weekends.

Chair: thanks to everyone who does service around finding meeting space.

### ***New Business***

Prep for One-day Assembly:

No time for coordinator reports. (SU, few abstentions) Continue with workshops, and find some way to help prepare people to stand for election.

Standing for Elections/Job Preview: Could have people who think they might stand identify themselves and let DRs know who to get to know. Officers suggested we divide folk into 4 groups, have 3-4 coordinators go to each group, rotate so that everyone would talk to everyone. Then lunchtime would have more opportunity to interact with people having a position they might be interested in. After lunch we could do Delegate's Report and workshops.

Former Delegate: Coordinators could bring copies of their guidelines.

DR: The sooner we get information out about positions, the better. We need to get some bullet points out in the folder for May Assembly.

DR: having people stand up is good. Coordinator needs to present, not just be available for questions.

Chair: what information do people in your district want to know about coordinators?

Workshop Topics: see evaluation section. If you have any other ideas, or your district has any ideas, email Patrick.

Site is Santa Rosa Veteran's Hall. There will also be a farmer's market there. If you want to go to farmer's market, arrive early.—they open at 8:30.

### ***Election Assembly is at Squaw Valley***

It might be hard to travel, but it is set, so let GRs know they can carpool and room with others, fellowship experience. Officers need to be elected by representative group of GRs. Sandi will run officer's election, early on Saturday. Will have coordinators election on Saturday evening. Sunday morning will do all of GR business for Assembly.

### **New Chair for Dual Members Serving Beyond the Group Level Thought Force?**

At October Assembly there was a question about whether they were still meeting. The person who chaired that thought force has stepped down. Is there anyone who wants to step up, to keep the conversation going? No one stepped forward: please take to your Districts.

### **WSO Family Health Project - Chris D**

He passed out a letter from WSO Executive director re a study that WSO is cooperating with. Family Health Project is an academic study sponsored from VA in Palo Alto and Stanford University. Principal Investigator is Christine Timko. Trying to do some evidence-based science around the benefit of Al-Anon to both those who attend Al-Anon and to the alcoholic/addict. They are not looking for volunteers; they have randomly chosen 2700 groups to be questioned. If a group opts in, they will receive a packet of information. Study's goal is to give surveys to newcomers, who can participate anonymously (or not), information stripped of

personal information, sent to statisticians. Some people, who choose to, can be contacted again at 6 months to see how things are going. A couple of representatives from the study came to a meeting in Chris's district. They wanted to do face-to-face interviews with newcomers, but he's not sure how they can do it—told them not, checked with WSO.

Questions:

DR: More and more, health professionals are practicing Evidence-Based Medicine. They won't be able to say "Go to Al-Anon" without a research study behind it.

DR: I've done research. Most of these processes are legit. It's exciting that people are trying to do this: there is a lot on the addiction side, and it's thrilling that they're starting to look at the family side of the disease.

Former Delegate: about 15 years ago Stephanie Brown wrote a book, found it hard to find families due to the anonymity issue. She did interview 50 families. She found out what long-term recovery is like. Doctor came to his group, could not read our literature because it was 30 years out of date. We need current info.

### **Santa Clara Spanish Intergroup.**

A few months ago, the Spanish groups in South Bay down to Monterey decided it was too far to go to the Spanish Intergroup in South San Francisco. They were told by WSO that they needed permission from Chair and Delegate. They wanted to be an LDC, but didn't understand taxes, etc. Figured out a way to work as an association without any business. SCI will be their LDC. The Spanish groups are now helping out with outreach, etc.

### **Reprint of Journey to Recovery?**

Tom K. suggested reprint of Journey to Recovery. Printed 1500, sold 1200, which made a little money. Should it be reprinted? Does not sell well, some LDC's still have some. Online on the website ... or updated to include the last 10 years: a lot has happened, but he'll leave it to someone else.

### **Purchasing AV equipment:**

Wireless microphones, microphone stands, projection equipment, screen: would allow us to meet in other places, save money. We decided to create a Work Force to gather data on costs to buy vs. rent vs. pay facility for equipment. Need to consider if hotels would welcome us to bring our own equipment.

Volunteers: Debbie O, Sandi C, Patrick B

### **Dinner at July Committee meeting.**

District 9 could bring food from a deli, provide a buffet dinner, ask DRs to just pay \$5 for dinner. Would require RSVPs. We will also have access to the Spa next door. Consider lunch Saturday. **Approved.**

***Announcements***

Don't forget to check your bins and leave your name tags.

***Next Meeting***

July 29-30, 2011, Holiday Inn Express, El Dorado Hills, District 9